Toilets in the Floor, Hamburger Panini's, and An Alpine Experience


PRATO NEVOSO

Sorry it's so long, but bear with me!

I have been waiting awhile to get to Prato Nevoso. Actually, its been a little over two weeks, but whatever, I've been waiting! I really wanted to know what this place looked like since I will be living there for the next 3 to 4 months. Curiosity is killer!

After Simona and I dropped Mattia off at school, we headed up to the mountain. Of course we had to stop at the bar on the way. We went up these twisty turny roads, past towns that will never see the sunshine due to the mountains, and a beautiful blue mountain stream that you could probably drink out of with no problem. We finally got to the top where Prato sits, and I can honestly say, it wasn't what I was expecting, but I really don't know what I was expecting. It is weird because I haven't really had any expectations on this trip so when I find out what something is, I'm never disappointed. I kinda like that. We then stopped at another bar to meet up with Francesca and Evan, where we got yet another coffee. I love this place! :) Those who are coffee addicts NEED to come to Italy. Anyway, we went to the ski school, and I must say I got the better end of the deal. While Francesca and Simona cleaned the school, I roamed, wandered and explored the premises. Maybe I should've helped, but I was much to eager to explore.

I took my big camera out and tried to look "official". I didn't want to get yelled at by a big Italian man, because number 1, I wouldn't know what he's saying and number 2, I did not want my exploration hindered in any way. I thought I might get yelled at since I was walking on the slopes, but whatever. I didn't! After walking around the slopes for about an hour I was getting really cold, so I started to head back to the ski school. Then lo and behold across the street, down this hill I look over and see the ruins of an old stone farmhouse. I hopped over the road and was in heaven! This place was so cool and it was in the most picturesque setting. Whoever lived here, had a view that could not be bought. On one side is this beautiful snow covered mountain (Artesina) and in front, way off in the distance but clearly visible, is Monte Viso. This mountain is spectacular and is supposedly the inspriation for Paramount Picture's Logo.

I seriously was in heaven. I took pictures for like an hour and a half. I also went down into this valley like thing and found a mountain stream. It was so beautiful. Naturally I had to pee outside. Why do I like doing this? I don't know, but I just do. No one was around, so I was safe! I sat down and just took in all the beauty. It was going on 1:00 and Simona called, and asked if I got lost. It was going on lunch time!

I met her and Francesca at the ski school and we headed over to the bar again. We met up with Gianluca, and his mother Anita. This is where I had the weirdest, probably one of the worst hamburger's of my life. After reading through the menu, I just wanted to give it a whirl. A cheeseburger is a pretty Americanized food, so I wanted to see what an Italian burger would taste like. The lady asked what I wanted on it so I told her mayo, cheese, ketchup and that sounded fine. When the burger came out it was on panini type bread. Okay, no big. I'll eat that. But when I bit into it, it was covered in mayo. Like covered. I opened it up and I couldn't even see the burger. So I tried to scrape off all the excess. It didn't have any ketchup on it either. Just mayo. Wasn't a huge deal. I then got to the burger, and it was extremely thin. It tasted like the country fried steak from Cracker Barrel, only without the fried part. I reluctantly ate the whole thing, because the lady who made it was watching me. I didn't want to let her down. It's big not to waste food in Italy.

Before eating my burger I washed my hands and when I got in the restroom I was suprised. First I thought I was in the men's, but no, it was an unisex restroom. The toilet was in the floor. How do you use this thing? I didn't want to find out. It was weird. After I got done washing my hanny pads, as mother would say, I asked Simona about the toilet. She said in Italy most public restrooms are this way because it's cleaner. As a female, you just got to get down and squat. I'd rather pee outside. :) Ha! It was just fun, so I had to take a picture.

After lunch we of course had to have coffee and chocolate. It's just the Italian way. We went back to the ski school and I headed for the hills. Literally. I went to the opposite side this time and came across this field like thing on the top of the hill with the best view of Monte Viso. I had to sing "The Hills are Alive" and twirl because it was just that kind of a place. So I did. :) Needless to say it was a beautiful day with just me and myself in the hills. I can't wait to go back! Maybe next time I'll learn my lesson and order something a little more Italian off the bar menu. :)

2 Response to "Toilets in the Floor, Hamburger Panini's, and An Alpine Experience"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    November 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM

    thats hair dryer for us people actually U.S. people

  2. Aunt Beverly Says:
    December 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

    Oh Alli!!! That place is breathtaking! How many people in the tiny town? If I had some money i would surely come visit you

Post a Comment