What's Goes Up Most Come Crashing Down


You know how I said everything is smaller in Italy? Well that includes their elevators. People are normally the same size most everywhere you go. I know Americans have a reputation for being a bigger breed of people, but I don't consider myself like huge or anything. If you're living in a ski resort you're going to have skis and big bags packed with winter clothing that will need to make its way to your room with you, no matter if you live on the bottom floor or the top. So why are the elevators so small? I just don't know.

The elevator in our apartment complex in Prato is just plain scary. There are no windows and no indicator light of what floor you're on. You just kind of arrive with a sudden jolt. The worst is when you go from the top floor to the bottom. It hits the bottom so hard that my feet have been like injured several times. Okay maybe not injured. That's over exaggerating just a wee bit, but kind of slammed to the bottom. Mattia thinks its hilarious to make me take the elevator. I try to make him take the stairs when he's wearing ski boots for his ski lessons, but than I realized that's a little cruel making him walk 6 flights of stairs in those terrible boots. So I cave and take the elevator. His new favorite thing is getting into the tiny box and wiggling all around to make the elevator shake. I think he learned this maneuver from his Dad. TEYIBLE! I'm trying to get use to it, but its proving to be difficult. We live on the very top floor of the building but most times I haul myself up a ton of stairs just to avoid the death box. My biggest fear is getting stuck in that thing, pushing the Emergency button and getting a strictly Italian speaking rescuer who doesn't understand a word I say. OH that would be just teyible! Maybe I can talk Mattia into taking those stairs a little more often. :)

1 Response to "What's Goes Up Most Come Crashing Down"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    February 3, 2012 at 8:05 AM

    I sympathize with your plight. I would not care for that either. However, your written account is hilarious. I also think it is hilarious that Mattia antagonizes you! And I understand not being able to communicate. :) Love you!! Me

Post a Comment