4 Years Later & The Ache is Still There


My Perfect Mother

You know how back in elementary school people would argue over whose Mom was best, or whose Dad could do this or that? Well, I have to say that I had the best mother in the world and if you try to argue with me, I’ll fight you tooth and nail. My mother was the closest person to perfect I have known or probably will ever know. If she were alive I probably would say the same thing as well, but having someone so close to you die prematurely somehow makes you dwell on the positive things rather than the negative. I like that fact, since throughout the course of an individual’s life, one tends to dwell on the negative rather than the positive.


I’m writing this post today, because 4 years ago at around 8:30 in the morning, my Mother passed from this life to the next. She battled with breast cancer for about 18 months and in the end, the cancer won. It is a battle I often regret, feel angry about, and want to completely do over, but the past is the past and nothing can change that small important detail.

Unfortunately, being in Italy has not helped me move on in regards to healing over my Mom’s death. Some people might say that after 4 years I should get over it. I can honestly say to those certain people, "go lose your mother and then tell me how you’re feeling four years later." That’s all I have to say about that. Italian culture is entirely centered on the Grandmother and the Mother. Without those two important elements of its culture, the whole structure would more than likely collapse. I believe it stems from the deep roots of Catholicism and the importance placed on Mary, the Mother of Jesus. Maybe not, but that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.Yesterday I was in the kitchen and MiMi, Mattia’s Great Aunt, came by and tried to converse with me. She knows no English but I got the gist of what she was saying. I had my computer out and she asked me if I was talking to my Mom and how she was. I tried to tell her in my broken Italian that she was in heaven and died of breast cancer. The look on her face said it all. She kept saying “Brutte, Brutte”. Which in English translates to "Bad, Bad". She asked me if I had brothers and sisters, and after I answered yes, she just shook her head like I had gone through the worst thing in the world. Well probably in my 24 years of living it has been the worst thing in the world for me. So she was kinda right on, in that aspect.


One question I have struggled with over these past 4 years is this, “What good came of my Mom’s passing?” I still haven’t quite figured that one out yet. My brother and sister-in-law announced Christmas 2010 that they were going to have a baby. It was so happy and wonderful but at the same time we all cried when we heard the news because Mom wouldn’t be there to see her first Grand baby. If there was one thing my mother loved, it was babies. She worked in the church nursery for years and whenever a baby would enter the room, my mother would light up and flock to it. I think they loved her just as much as she loved them too. When Raeleigh was born September 2, 2011 we all cried again. It was so happy to see this new little baby life, but at the same time it was so sad because Mom wasn’t there to witness it. Mom would’ve been such a wonderful Grammy. I love my Grandma’s so much. They have made such an impact on my life and I grieve for Raeleigh not being able to meet her Grammy Ruth. I’m going to make sure to tell her stories, so even if she never will meet her Grandma, she’ll still feel like she knows her inside and out.




Even though it has been four years, sometimes the ache in my heart feels like it was just yesterday she passed away. She was a beautiful, amazing woman, who has left a mommy shaped hole in my heart. I may be 24 years old, but even a 24 year old woman needs her Mom. I don’t even wanna see the day I start having babies, if that day ever comes. I know I’ll be a wreck not having my Mom around. I think I just miss her. A Lot. One day I know I'll see her again, and that in itself is enough to keep me comforted.

3 Response to "4 Years Later & The Ache is Still There"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    March 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM

    Great write, Allison. Your mom would be so proud of you. I know exactly how you feel. This blog really hit me hard. People have told me, "time heals all wounds," but I think that's a load of crap. Instead of focusing on the loss (which is impossible to avoid) I try to be thankful for having such an amazing parent in my life for as long as I did. It's weird, the good days and bad days. Sometimes I'll go weeks without feeling to sad or alone, and then out of nowhere it'll just sink in, that void you mentioned.

    I hope you're doing well, and enjoying Italia! I'll be thinking about you today. Love you, cousin.

    -Michael

  2. Aunt Beverly Says:
    March 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM

    Okay, I wasn't gonna read this today but I did - I'm sitting here with a cup of coffee sobbing cause I ache so bad for you Allison, and you Michael and all your siblings - I still have my mom so I haven't experienced that kind of pain but Ruthie and Paul both meant the world to me and my life will never be the same without them. All of my lifetime memories are intertwined with them and it stinks that their lives were cut short. You don't expect to lose a sibling til you're both old and gray and I had so many trips planned in my head with both of them. Michael's right, time doesn't heal all wounds, it just puts a band-aid on them but a lot of days it feels like the band-aid was ripped off and took some more skin with it. I want to talk to and hug each of them! and each of you. They were amazing human beings and I see so much of them in you two, which is a gift to me. I love you!!!!! Aunt Beverly

  3. Anonymous Says:
    March 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

    Allison,

    I just finished reading your blog...drinking my coffee and crying. I'm not a very good writer but I just wanted to let you know what's on my heart right now. All the years I knew your Mother, I admired her so much. She was an Angel on Earth and I cannot imagine how beautiful she looks in Heaven. Her smile was contagious, beautiful, and lifted my spirits every time I saw her. You see, her last 6 years here on earth were years that I was in and out of my relationship with The Lord. When I would go to TRBC and go down to the choir room to see her and talk with her after the service, she always had encouraging words of advice for me in regards to my life as well as my marriage. Her and your Dad were always so used by God to speak to me! I am so appreciative of your Mothers' love for God and for allowing God to use her to encourage other women (like me). God gave your Mother so many gifts and she used them accordingly.

    Four years ago when I learned of your Mothers' passing I happened to be in the "far country" of my life without Christ. This brings me to answer your question: "What good came of my Mother's passing?" Becky Glass came to realize what a relationship with God truly looks like, and means, and she (me) came Home to her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Her passing began my journey back to HIM!!-- And I have never been the same since! :)

    My heart cries because of your Mommy sized hole in your heart. Please know I sure miss her too and I have a Ruth Brooks size hole in my heart too. Yes, one day we will see her again! What a happy day that will be! Praise God!!

    I will be praying for you as you still grieve for your Mother on a daily basis.

    My love to you and all your family Allison,

    Love in Christ,
    Becky

Post a Comment